Principal Engineer – Radio
Based in Wellingborough.
Our client specialises in the effective operation of critical national infrastructure and is at the heart of many of the UK’s and Ireland’s best-known brands. They operate within various industry sectors including Transport, Emergency Services, Network Providers, Higher Education and Public Sector.
The role of the Principal Engineer (Radio) within Technical Services is to be the most senior technical resource to resolve highly complex technical design or service issues that cannot be resolved through the normal operations and maintenance procedures and provide leadership for root cause analysis. To work closely with the Technical Design Authority and the other technical resources. To act as a mentor for their chosen field. This includes: PMR, DMR, Tetra and Microwave infrastructures. The Principal Engineer will also support the Sales and Presales teams to provide the technical expertise required to close sales opportunities. This will typically involve technical presentations, solution demonstrations, solution design/configuration, proposal and bid response documentation.
- To act as a technical lead within the customer account for both internal and external requirements.
- To act as an internal technical escalation, point and to be able to mentor/coach internal resources to achieve a higher level of service.
- To act as the last line technical lead to resolve technical problems, either design or support related problems. To take a lead where required in root cause analysis to drive issue resolution and limit impact to the customer.
- To train internal staff on product and customer networks.
- To review and report on specific customer incidents and to manage customer expectations. To add value and highlight trends within the call data. Ensuring escalation and feedback drives a high level of performance.
- To be responsible for the documentation and upkeep of technical databases relating to the customers network infrastructure such that internal engineering colleagues can refer to this information held on either a WiKi or KEDB, assisting in the resolution of customer incidents and problems.
- To assist in the build and design of Proof-of-Concept scenarios, Type Approval activities in the labs. To help in the creation of test type documentation and test scenarios.
- Assist and/or lead in the pre-staging of equipment to be installed on customer sites as part of projects or installs.
- To attend, as required, the following customer facing meetings, support reviews, project based, monthly service reviews, weekly incident reviews.
- Produce and Peer Review Low- and High-Level Designs.
- To assist principal engineers in the development and demonstrations of new solutions both internally and externally.
- Be an expert in the required Technology for your section. Create and deliver technical presentations, solution demonstrations, solution design/configuration, and proposal development.
- Demonstrable experience supporting designing and supporting large and small-scale radio networks.
- Degree/HND/HNC educated in an appropriate Engineering discipline.
- At least 5 years’ experience of the radio communications industry.
- HND Electrical/Electronic or equivalent.
- Familiarity with Both MS Windows and Unix/ Linux based Operating Systems.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Able to work under own initiative to deadlines.
- Able to support occasional work away from home.
- Engineering design and delivery practices.
- Proven knowledge of Health & Safety and best working practices.
- An understanding of Security and Quality standards applicable to the Engineering sector.
Please apply with your up-to-date CV for immediate consideration.