This position can be Home based, but requires the flexibility to travel throughout EMEA for short periods (typically up to 2 weeks at a time) particularly in Algeria and Poland for 25% of the time.
Responsible for the design of back-haul transmission networks for Public Safety communications systems. These systems are primarily Land Mobile Radio (LMR) networks (e.g TETRA, APCO25, DMR) and the transmission network connects the base station sites to the switch sites and control rooms. The transmission networks are typically all IP-based employing pure Ethernet or Ethernet over MPLS. The physical transmission is typically dedicated, private, high availability microwave radio and/or fibre optic networks but may also employ L2/L3 services provided over shared/carrier networks. The responsibilities include:
- Determining the network design strategy to meet the customer requirements for availability, performance and cost.
- IP/MPLS/Ethernet wide area network design
- Creating HLD/LLD design documents and implementation guidelines
- Supporting the procurement organisation to obtain and evaluate quotations from equipment vendors
- Presenting the network design to customers, talking knowledgeably about network design and implementation including both theory and practical implementation experiences
- Providing advice and support to implementation teams as required (e.g. explain design to implementation teams, generating switch/router configurations, etc.).
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
It is essential that candidates have several years of experience of the design and deployment of wide area networks including MPLS networks. Successful candidates are likely to hold a BS or higher Degree in a Telecom related subject.
The following skills are considered essential:
- Experience in analysing transmission network requirements (capacity, availability, resilience, security, etc.) and translating this into a network design strategy
- A track record of the successful implementation of IP, MPLS and Ethernet networks
- Experience with MPLS technology including L2/L3 VPN, QoS and traffic engineering
- In-depth understanding of transmission media including copper, fibre and microwave and implementing L2/L3 networks over these transmission media
- In-depth knowledge of leading switching and routing products (e.g. Cisco, Extreme, Juniper) including the design, installation, configuration and testing of networks using these products
- Good communication skills and confidence to present solutions to customers
The following skills are considered highly desirable:
- Industry certifications (e.g. CCNP)
- Knowledge of DWDM fibre network design
- Knowledge and experience in microwave link planning, Ethernet/IP microwave products, performing Line-Of-Sight surveys and implementing microwave links
- Experience of planning back-haul transmission networks for wireless networks (e.g. TETRA, 3GPP 3/4G)
A Polish speaker would be preferred, but not mandatory.