Software Engineer - Baggage Team (C++)
- Job Type: Permanent
- Job Location: Heathrow
- Consultant: Adam Brinkley
- Office: HQ
- Telephone Number: +4402083347503
Software Engineer – Baggage Team (C++)
Salary: Between £50-£60k
Start Date: ASAP
We are looking for passionate, skilled C++ Software Engineers to join our Departure Control System centre of excellence at Heathrow. The system automates key airport processes from passenger and baggage check-in to boarding to departure. Over 100 airlines use it to handle 750 million passengers each year. We have an impressive pipeline of new features and system enhancements planned and we are searching for skilled engineers to bring these into production.
Have you ever wondered how your bags get from the check-in desk to the plane? Well, it is pretty complicated and the system that sits behind it is very complex. It is distributed, real-time, and written in over 180,000 lines of C++ code!
Improving the passenger experience at the airport is critical for airlines, and baggage is an area that always offers opportunities for product evolution and innovation.
If this sounds like a project you would enjoy working on, then you would work with some excellent colleagues who are responsible for all elements of the software, from front-end to back-end.
- Check-in of baggage through multiple channels, from self-service kiosks to automatic bag drop machines and of course check-in desks
- Calculation and payment of excess baggage charges
- Re-routing of delayed or lost bags
- Connectivity to Airport systems
- Communication with aircraft weight & balance systems
The Baggage team is composed of 10 Software Engineers, who have constant interaction with Business Analysts, Product Managers, and Quality Analysts.
Within our company, the Baggage team works closely with teams across multiple sites (London, Nice, Bangalore, Sydney), applications (DCS Customer Management, DCS Flight Management, Reservation, Ticketing, Communication Middleware, Document Server) and groups (R&D, Product Management, Implementation).
Summary of the role
A Software Development Engineer is accountable for the technical design and delivery of the product functionalities based on the solutions agreed with the stakeholders (Product Management, Product Definition Analysts).
As such, a Software Development Engineer is involved at key steps of the product development:
- Pre-Sales activities and Roadmap creations steps
- Analyse needs and requirements, from customer and internal sources, and propose functional/technical solution recommendations with supporting rationale
- Transversal solution definition
- Identify interactions and assess impacts with other company packages to ensure functional compatibility of the solution with each area
- Assess effort required from the team to deliver the solution
- Produce and take part in feasibility studies
- Development cycle activities
- Design and deliver new Baggage functionalities with a high quality level
- Register and spot all the impacts on company Solutions and Products that are provided to clients and ensure that they are properly handled and solved by the relevant teams
- Support business analysts and software development engineers to ensure a proper implementation of the designed solution
- Contribute to overall product quality by participating to the test strategy and defect investigation
- Be accountable for providing status to stakeholders on a regular and relevant basis at any stage of the engagement
- Highlight and escalate issues and risks early so they can be resolved or mitigated with minimal impact to the deliveries
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent experience
- Strong C++ experience
- RDMS/SQL (Oracle preferred)
- Standard Template Library
- Design Patterns
- Python (optional)
- Java (optional)
- Fluent English
- Multicultural approach and team spirit
- Accountability and basic project management skills
- Change management and Flexibility
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Express ideas clearly helping reach a common understanding of the matter
- Filter information from various sources to retain the most important elements
- Analytical & Conceptual thinking
- Understanding of complex technical problems
- Use of a methodical step-by-step approach to break down complex problems or processes into their constituents parts, identify causes and effects patterns and analyse problems to arrive to an appropriate solution
- Customer Focus & Interpersonal understanding
- Other nice-to-have:
- Successful experience as software development engineer for other company applications is a plus.
- Good understanding of the Airline business.
- Curiosity in the Travel industry and innovation in general.
- Company bonus (9% target)
- A friendly, supportive office environment.
- 28 days leave, increasing to 29 after 3 years and 30 after 5 years
- Pension plan (8% company contribution)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance, company sickness benefit, permanent health insurance, eye care vouchers, employee wellbeing program
- Optional benefits: dental cover, childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme
- Access to an online rewards gateway providing discounts at leading UK retailers